Ovarian Hysterstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) & Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatments
OHSS, a Syndrome best treated with Traditional Chinese Medicine
Symptoms of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome often begin within 10 days after using injectable medications to stimulate ovulation. Symptoms can range from mild to severe.
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, or OHSS, is a condition with enlarged ovaries and fluid buildup in the abdominal cavity
- Weight gain
- Nurse will measure circumference of abdomen
- Fluid in peritoneal cavity (ultra sound)
- Pleural effusion
- Extremely large ovaries
- Blood clots
- Kidney damage
- Serum Blood Work
- Estradiol (E2) extremely elevated, usually over 5000 pg/dl
- Low albumen
- Clotting disorders
- Elevated hematocrit
- Renal function out of normal ranges
It occurs over a period of several days after egg retrieval, or in very early pregnancy.
Who is at risk?
- Especially those with PCOS
- Will continue to escalate post egg retrieval
- Exaggerated with pregnancy post IVF
- Younger women
- Elevated estrogen levels
- Large number of follicles or eggs
It is considered a Medical Emergency and your fertility physician will monitor you closely.
- You may feel anxious
- Short of breath
- No appetite
- Extreme bloating
- Hospitalization may be required.
By using acupuncture, you can rest assured that we have ways to reduce symptoms and get you settled.
What does acupuncture do that Western Medline can’t?
- Move extra fluid
- Helps digestion
- Taking in extra protein is key
- Break blood stagnation
- Helps your body get rid of extra hormones that cause this syndrome
- Resolves stagnation in pelvic area
- Reduces length of being sick