Male Infertility & Effective Acupuncture Treatments
Studies show that while 50% of the time infertility is due to female factors, 50% of the time it is due to male factors and 10% of the time the result is of a combination of both women and men. If you are experiencing difficulties getting pregnant, it is important that the male partner get his sperm checked since men can contribute to a couple’s infertility over 50% of the time. The good news is men are easier to treat than females since men are constantly making new sperm (approximately 1000 sperm per heart beat). Our goal is to improve both male and female parameters to help you create a healthy baby. Treating both men and women is key.
The semen analysis looks at the sperm in three different ways:
1. Sperm Count: This is the most important part of the test and the more sperm there is, the better!
2. Sperm Motility: This measures the percentage of sperm that is moving in a forward direction — sperm needs to be able to travel from the vagina to the fallopian tubes where they meet the egg).
3. Sperm Morphology: This measures the shape of the sperm. It is quite common for men to have lot of abnormally-shaped sperm.
Unfortunately, male factor infertility gets overlooked since conventional treatment defaults to Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) typically used with IVF lab. It is important that the man does everything possible to improve his sperm, there is so many non-invasive treatments he can do improve the chances of having a baby.
• It takes 72 to 90 days for sperm to mature
• Sperm is affected by environmental toxins
o Specific supplements have been proven to improve sperm parameters
• Acupuncture and herbal prescriptions have been used for thousands of years to improve both male and female fertility.
• Sperm is affected by stress
• Sperm is affected by heat, how many of you men get so hot at night, you sleep with very light covers and find yourself sticking your feet out from under the covers. In Chinese Medicine we call that Yin-Fire and it is affecting your sperm
• These treatments will help ensure that you have the building blocks needed for healthy sperm which will benefit your future child’s health blueprint
• Acupuncture needles are never inserted into the genitals. The needles are instead painlessly inserted into acupuncture points in various other parts of the body.
East Winds Acupuncture has developed a program that can improve your fertility. Acupuncture herbal prescriptions tailored to your specific needs. In addition, we spend time teaching you how to avoid environmental toxins and make simple lifestyle changes that will give you a better chance of creating a healthy baby. We specialize in working in combination with your Fertility specialist.
Chinese medicine treats the underlying health problem that may be affecting sperm count, morphology and motility as well as correct imbalances that may lead to serious diseases.
Published research by Dr Paul Turek (an expert in Male Fertility and Sexual health) states.”
There is a growing body of evidence d that infertility in men may signal a higher risk for aggressive prostate cancer.”
“In conjunction with ART, or even for reaching natural fertility potential, acupuncture treatments are a simple, non-invasive method that can improve sperm quality.”
(Dr. Jian Pei, Fertility and Sterility 2005
Recent studies have shown that acupuncture can effectively:
• Increase sperm production
• Increase the percentage of healthy sperm
• Improve sperm movement (motility)
• Improve the levels of hormones responsible for fertility
• Increase the rate of pregnancy when used in conjunction with your fertility treatment.